Thursday, February 3, 2011

Blizzard 2011

Monday evening about 9:00 it started to sleet. It sleeted for an hour or so and then it "thundersnowed." It was so weird! We were watching tv and I thought I heard thunder. We brushed it aside thinking, "no way," then we heard it again and again. It was so weird! When we woke up Tuesday morning it looked like this. The wind was going at 35-50 mph and it was snowing. I believe we got like 12 inches of snow with like an inch or so of ice below it. There were 3-5 foot drifts.
All day on Monday Brady's work kept telling them that they most likely won't shut down due to weather. They have a generator so even if they lost power they would still be able to work because of that. They talked about how much money they'd lose every day they are closed etc. etc. So, pretty much, they won't be closing. Well, Tuesday morning, Brady got a message on his work phone saying work was CLOSED! Yay! He got to stay home!
Kolton wanted to play outside all day! We told him no way because it was -15 with the windchill. Well, at about 4:00 we decided we needed to switch the cars in the driveway so if we went somewhere, the Durango would be available. So we went out and let him play for a little bit.

It was SO SO cold outside! The wind was blowing so hard and blowing snow all over the place. Kolton kept falling down. :)

He wanted to climb to the top of this 3 foot or so snow drift.

We went in the back yard and the boys went running and fell to the ground. They rolled around a bit and then Kolton had enough and got up.

Brady proceeded to make a snow angel. :)

Wednesday morning Brady got another message saying his work was canceled again! Yahoo! So we slept in (some later than others...).

Brady, Kolton and I shoveled our walkway. Well, lets be honest...Brady did. Kolton and I helped a little bit. :) Wednesday was still really cold (at this point it was 10 degrees) but there was hardly any wind and it was sunny outside so it felt MUCH better than Tuesday.

We went sledding that afternoon. We LOOKED and CALLED EVERYWHERE looking for a sled last weekend, knowing we'd have this opportunity. Everyone was SOLD OUT. So, last minute, we borrowed Brady's parent's saucers. I didn't bring my camera--just my video camera, so I took pictures of the video. :) I HAD to have pictures (even if they look weird)!!
When we got there, as we were walking to the "hill" (so funny in Oklahoma the only place people can sled is at overpasses) I asked Kolton if he wanted to go by himself. He said yes. He's never really been sledding yet so I was really surprised that he'd want to go by himself. Then I started thinking it probably wouldn't be a good idea after seeing quite a few people tumble off of their sleds when they'd hit a dirt patch. I thought for sure if Kolton fell off of his he'd be done. But, I decided to let him go anyway. He L-O-V-E-D it! Before he'd even come to a complete stop he'd exclaim that he wanted to do it again!


One time he did crash and tumble off his sled but he got up cracking up. He thought it was SO funny and wanted to do it again!

We were there for about 45 minutes and he could have gone for another but I was TIRED from climbing up the hill after every sled down it. Luckily, I didn't have to carry him up it--he just walked right up it like it was nothing (until the end, then he started wanting you to hold his hand). It was a blast and I'm so glad we were able to do it!
After sledding we ate a yummy stew dinner and warmed up and prepared for a night of -1degrees! -1! So crazy!
Unfortunately, Brady had to go back to work today so its just me and Kolton but we thoroughly enjoyed his two days at home with us! Gotta love blizzards/snow storms in the OK.
(Oh and I trimmed my hair today. Yep, all by myself! I'm pretty proud of myself!:))

1 comment:

The Foys said...

Yay I'm glad that you were able to get pictures from the video! Kolton is such a brave boy! Kids are so funny... wanting to play in the snow when it is FREEZING outside! And I'm so impressed with you trimming your own hair!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers