Saturday, January 19, 2013

Last Week

On Monday, the 7th, Kolton and I met up with the Foys and Himes at the Little River Park to ride scooters and play.  They rode their scooters to the park and played for a minute and then just rode their scooters right around the pond by us.  They had a lot of fun! Kolton biffed it twice, but he'd just roll when he'd fall and so he never really got hurt and would just get back up and go some more.  
Funny story...I was trying to zip up Kolton's jacket and he said to me "I want to be cool Mom!" Haha.  It was funny to me.  
That night I had a presidency meeting and when I came home Brady and Kolton were playing a game...Trouble! Haha.  He really does LOVE that game.  
On Wednesday we went and looked at some cars.  Brady absolutely LOVES his Mustang but we've reached a point where it just isn't practical anymore.  Kolton has a hard time getting back there and with us trying to have another baby we knew at some point we'd need to get a different car that could fit a carseat in the back.  And as of January 1st, we have insurance and that is NOT cheap and we really needed to find a way to cut down on our bills and so we went looking for something bigger and cheaper than the mustang.  :) At first Brady really wanted a truck. He had looked at trucks a few months ago but decided he'd stick with the Mustang.  He tried looking again but they just weren't any cheaper than the mustang--more expensive in fact.  So then we started looking at Xterras.  We owned an Xterra once before and actually really liked it.  I really can't remember why we got rid of it...I think it was because gas got to be too expensive but I can't really remember. Anyway, we spent a few days looking at Xterras...going to dealerships and driving them as well as spending tons of time looking online.  We found one on Wednesday night that we really liked but we decided to go home and think about it and make sure that that was really what we wanted to do.  
Friday, the 11th, I watched the Himes kids while they went hunting.  They came over at like 6:30 and were there until about 1.  The kids had so much fun playing and surprisingly it was really easy! You'd think going from one kid to five kids under 5 would be a shock, but the kids were really well behaved so it was fine! Now, I wasn't showered and the house was a mess but other than that...Haha.  That night we decided to go back and get the Xterra.  It is a 2009 almost black Xterra.  It saves us about $170 a month from what we used to pay on the loan for the Mustang and our insurance on the Mustang.  Surprisingly, the insurance on the Xterra is cheaper.  It also gets a little bit better gas mileage so that will be nice too! Anyway, it will make the burden of health insurance a little lighter and we'll be able to fit a baby in there when the time comes! It was REALLY hard for Brady to leave his mustang.  That was like his baby.  Even though this is pretty embarrassing, we both cried as we left the car lot.  It still makes me sad that Brady had to leave his mustang there.  But, if this means we can have a baby, then it is worth it! And really, it is a good car for us to have.  
Saturday morning Kolton had a basketball game.  Brady had to work so I video taped it for him.  Brady's mom came and watched Kolton too.  Kolton played really well! He made lots of shots, even some fade away shots, stole the ball a few times etc.  I'd hear parents and grandparents that were sitting around me say "here he goes again" and "wow! he's a shooter!" or "he has really good form!" After his game Kolton went to Brady's parents house for a little bit and I went home and cleaned.  After that we went up to the Cox Convention Center for a volleyball tournament of Madison's.  It was fun to watch! Kolton played on either my phone, Brady's phone, or Madison's friend, Colton's, phone the entire time.  


    After the tournament we went to Ihop to get some food and didn't end up getting home until 11:30.  It was a late night! For Kolton, especially! 
We woke up late for church the next day and didn't get there until 9:40 and so we just sat in the foyer.  Oops! That afternoon we all took a 3 hour nap in our bed! 3 hours! Haha.  We were tired!
The next day I had to take the Xterra back to the dealership.  The heater in it wasn't working on Saturday and so I called them and they said I could bring it in on Monday and they'd take a look at it (after I argued with them for a few minutes explaining why they should).  When I got there the sales manager talked to me for about 15 minutes pretty much telling me that he couldn't do anything for me because we didn't buy a warranty and so we were pretty much s.o.l.  I ended up calling Brady and he talked to him for about 10 minutes over the phone while I just sat and listened.  They finally decided that we would come up that evening and get the Mustang back.  As I was about to leave I asked the guy if their shop just couldn't look at it and see what was wrong with it.  He said sure and so I drove it back there.  When I walked in he was whispering to their guy which was weird.  Finally the guy told me that he couldn't look at it for hours. Brady didn't want me to leave the Xterra there because we wanted to figure out a way to keep the car and get them to fix it.  I decided to leave and take it to my own repair shop.  I tried to take it in to a guy that is in our ward but he was booked for the day so I took it to another repair shop that had really good reviews.  They charged $45 for diagnostic services but if they did any repairs then they wouldn't charge you that fee.  I decided it would be worth the $45 to figure out what was wrong.  Turns out the dealership had put in new radiator hoses and they hadn't bled them through which is why the heater wasn't working.  Once they fixed that the heater started blowing out air that was 160 degrees.  They said everything else looks fine.  It cost us $57 to fix it.  If the dealership would have just looked at it right then while I was there it wouldn't have cost them or I anything because they didn't need any materials.  Anyway, we decided to keep the Xterra since it really is better for our family.  When Brady got home from work he called up the sales manager and explained to him what happened and was on the phone with him for a good 30 minutes.  The sales manager was never rude to us which was nice, but he just kept telling us that we needed to have bought a warranty and that he didn't have any money to put in to the car because we had talked them down below their internet price (which is usually their bottom dollar) and Brady kept saying he shouldn't have to use a warranty the day after he buys a car.  The manager finally apologized and said that he should have handled it differently and taken a look at it just to see if they could have fixed it for little to no cost to them. Easy for him to say after the fact, but I hope he really did realize that it would have been super easy for them to fix and then we would have been a "happy customer" instead of an angry one.  :) I really just hate buying cars.  I feel like they are only nice to you until you sign for it and then you're on your own.  Anyway, that was a long story! :) 
That afternoon Kolton and I did a crossword puzzle in this month's Friend.  It was fun to work on it with him.  As we were doing it, though, I just couldn't help but see just how much he looks like my brother, Tyler! It is just crazy to me sometimes!    
 On Tuesday morning I watched the Foys kids for a few hours while Brittney went to physical therapy and then ran some errands.  That evening Brady and I went to the temple with the youth to do baptisms and Kolton went over to the Foys.  He ended up spending the night there and didn't even ask to come home when it was time to go to bed! He said it was because he's 5 now.  :) The next morning, I went to Jill's house and Brittney brought Kolton over there for me.  For Christmas Jill got a lamp and some polish to do gel polish so we did that.  I did my nails red.  I really like it! It is super smooth and it has been 5 days now and hasn't chipped at all! 
On Thursday we got Kolton a big basketball goal.  I had been looking on Craigslist since before Christmas and we finally got him one on Thursday evening.  On Friday, Kolton played for 3 hours before school and then over 2 hours after school.  This kid is obsessed with basketball right now! I'm so glad we were able to get it for him. It was a cheap one, but it is just perfect for him.  We were able to set it at 7.5', which is what he plays on at his basketball games.  We put it in our backyard right next to our patio thing.  He just loves it! 


No comments:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers