Monday, February 6th, I was working at Brady's parent's house for his dad. Liz had picked me up and brought me to their house so that Brady could have the car. Unfortunately he had already left for work on his motorcycle, so he was going to go home at lunch and pick up the car and drive to his parents for lunch since Kolton and I were going to be over there while I was working.
At about 1:00 (when Brady typically has lunch) I was in the office with Brady's dad and Kolton was out on the driveway with Jaycee and Liz playing basketball. Jeff got a phone call and sounded all concerned but I couldn't tell what was going on or who he was talking to so I just continued on working. He got off the phone and as he was walking out of the office said "Your husband got in a wreck on his motorcycle. He's ok but I have to go." I was like "WHAT?!" So I went after him and as I caught up he was in the driveway about to tell Brady's mom what happened. He was driving on 19th street, about to turn on to Sante Fe, when he decided to look in his mirrors. He felt like the car behind him was really close to him so he just wanted to look. While he was looking in his mirror, the truck in front of him had slowed down to turn in to Walgreens, and so when he looked up he slammed on his brakes which made his front wheel lock up and his bike slide out from underneath him. He hit the ground going about 35 mph. He landed on his left side and slid about 10-15 feet he thinks. He says the first thing he thought was "crap! I just got in a motorcycle accident. I'm in the middle of the road. I need to move." so he got up and crawled to the curb. After a second or two he realized his motorcycle was still on so he got up and turned it off real quick and then sat back down. The lady behind him had stopped in the road and put her hazards on so that no one would come in that lane and the guy in front of him in the truck had seen it happen and so he came over too. A couple more people stopped, including an off duty cop. He told Brady he had called 911 for him. Everyone there was really nice and took care of him. When the ambulance and fire trucks got there they checked him out and then left when Brady convinced them he'd be ok. People started asking if Brady needed a wrecker service and that's when he thought he should call his dad to come get his motorcycle. Because of the adrenaline he hadn't even thought about calling anyone, so he then called his dad. At first I was a little upset he hadn't called me first...I mean, I am his wife, and it totally freaked me out not being able to talk to him and make sure he was ok, but after hearing the story I understood why it happened the way it did. I totally should have gone with his dad, and to this day I still don't know why I didn't, but his dad left and met Robby at the warehouse to get the trailer and go get the motorcycle. They were gone for forever! When they finally got back, the adrenaline had started to slow down and the reality of it all had hit Brady. I took him in to the bathroom and took off all his clothes so they wouldn't stick to his wounds and cleaned them all out. His pants were all torn up and ripped open. He had some pretty bad cuts on his knees and his wrist. His left knee had been rubbed almost down to the bone, while the right one wasn't as deep.

Brady was pretty sure he broke his finger (it was getting more and more swollen and was crooked and turning purple). We got a hold of President Bean and asked if he would be willing to x-ray his finger.
Sure enough it was broken straight through and his knuckle was dislocated. President Bean called an orthopedist that he knew, Dr. Ewing, and got us an appointment for the next morning at 10:00. Brady's shoulder was also hurting really bad but President Bean told us to just wait until we went to go see Dr. Ewing the next morning instead of going to the E.R. He told us that the E.R. would just tell us to go see an orthopedist if something was wrong, anyway, so since we already had an appointment we might as well just wait and save that money.
We went to the doctor the next morning and Brady's parents watched Kolton. They looked at his finger x-ray and also did an x-ray on his shoulder. They determined that he was going to need surgery on his finger to place pins in it and reset the knuckle. They also told us that he had torn/sprained his AC joint in his shoulder and it had moved out of place by 50%. He also hit a "trigger point" when he hit the ground when he fell off his motorcycle. His shoulder did not require surgery but it would take 4-6 months to heal. Most of the severe pain and most of the healing should take place in the first 4-6 weeks, but will remain painful and continue to heal for up to 6 months. They gave him a couple of shots in his shoulder to numb the pain to allow the muscle in his shoulder to relax to help the "trigger point." Usually treatment for the shoulder includes those shots as well as steroids but since he hurt his finger as well they can't give him steroids because that will slow down the healing in his finger. Anyway, we left with a surgery scheduled for the next morning.
Here's some pictures of his bike and helmet and stuff. Part of his helmet broke off and then it got scratched up. I'm so glad he was wearing his helmet because he hit his head hard and then slid. If he didn't have his helmet on, his face would have been all cut up and he would probably have some sort of brain damage. He told me that evening that he was thinking about asking me in the next couple of days if he could stop wearing his helmet because it was really annoying and would mess up his hair when he'd come home for lunch and since we live so close he thought he'd be fine without it. I'm so glad he hadn't done that (even though I'm pretty sure I would have said no! :)).

His light broke off and the left side of his bike is cracked in a few places and scratched all over.
This is the left peg with the gear changer (not sure what it is called). It totally just snapped off.
This is where it should be...
The surgery was scheduled at The Surgical Hospital of Oklahoma in Oklahoma City. We were supposed to be there at 8:30 and his surgery was scheduled for 10:00. Brittney watched Kolton for us while we were at the hospital. We were in the waiting room for about an hour I'd say and then he was called back to get all dressed and I stayed in the waiting room. They called me back after he was dressed and had his IV. We talked to the anesthesiologist and Dr. Ewing and his P.A.-Amber. He went in to surgery at 11:30. I got called back at 12:45 to see him when he was done. They did a block on his arm so he didn't feel the pain but he was awake for it all. He watched them put the pins in on the x-ray machine that they had going constantly to check as they went along.
They put him in a soft cast and sent us on our way. He was numb for about 24 hours so that was nice. Typically you are only numb for about 3-4 hours with what they did to him but the effects were long lasting for him. He was worried at first--like maybe he had some nerve damage or something, but he called the doctor and they said he should be ok. His pain returned, though, the next day. We wrapped and re-wrapped the wrap on this, I don't even know how many times. It was so uncomfortable for him. The hard cast that was going down his arm was rubbing the bone in his wrist raw and was causing him a lot of pain. We tried so many things to try and make it better with no luck. I felt so bad for him.
He stayed home from work through Thursday and then went back on Friday. Come Friday night when he got home he was in a lot of pain. His shoulder was more uncomfortable because he wasn't able to rest it and his finger was super swollen because he wasn't able to keep it above his heart. I called the doctor's office on the following Tuesday, I believe, and Amber, the physician's assistant, told me that they were going to put a splint on him at his follow-up appointment on Thursday. Brady was so excited! He couldn't wait.
His follow-up appointment was Thursday morning at 7:30. They took his soft cast off and cleaned around the pins. He has one that is sticking out of his finger with a hook on it. That is the one that is holding his knuckle in place. He then has three that go across his finger to hold the break in place. The one with the hook on it will come out in 3 weeks (on March 8th). The other three will come out in 7 weeks. We are hoping they don't have to do surgery on those. If the pins start to stick out than they can just pull them out in the office. If they don't stick out, though, than they will have to do surgery, so we are praying they make their way out.

After they cleaned it and stuff they started to make his "splint." We
totally thought it was going to be just a finger splint and the rest of
his hand and arm would be free. Unfortunately, it is pretty much just
like what he had before except it doesn't cover his whole hand. They
cut out part of the "splint" to allow his ring and pinkie finger to be
free but it still covers his hand and goes up his arm. It isn't as
wrapped up, but totally not the "splint" I was envisioning.
Kolton and I feel so bad for Brady and that he has to deal with this pain. He was so lucky, though. As uncomfortable as he is, it could have been SO much worse. I am so glad that he came away from it with just a hurt shoulder, broken finger, and cuts and bruises. I'm so glad he was wearing his helmet and gloves and long pants and long-sleeved shirt. I'm glad he came away walking. Everyone that asks him what happened to his hand then tells him a story of someone they know that either died in a motorcycle wreck or spent months in ICU because of a motorcycle wreck. I'm so glad that nothing like that happened to him and we are able to have him here in our home with us. I'm grateful for all the support we've received from my parents, Brady's parents, Jaycee, the Foys and everyone else. Many people have offered help and kind words and we are grateful. I love Brady so much and am so glad he is ok and can't wait for him to not be in pain anymore!

















4 comments:
Oh my goodness all those pictures... it gives me the heebie jeebies!! We are so glad that everything turned out as well as it did too. We love you guys! I hope he's out of pain soon :0(
Poor Brady! So heart breaking! These pictures make me SO ill....we are all hoping he heals quick! XOXO
So glad he's okay. That motorcycle is not able to be fixed right? :)
oh man...so sorry, glad he's doing ok though....I maybe shouldn't have read this...JD just got a bike again and it always make me nervous! take care.
Post a Comment