Friday, June 22, 2012

Welcoming the Thunder Home!


Brittney invited Kolton and I to go with her and her kids to welcome the Thunder team home this afternoon.  We are so proud of what they did this season and are so glad to be able to have them as our team here in OKC.  Up at the airport they had a little area set up for the fans to welcome the team home from Miami (where they lost to the Heat in the Finals).  
We left at about 11:45 or 12:00 and got to the platform at about 12:30.  It was super hot but they were handing out free waters, so that was really nice! The boys were pretty excited to be there and couldn't wait for the players to show up.  I don't even know how many times we were asked if they were there yet! :) Finally, at about 2:15 the players showed up.  I was tearing up like crazy.  I know--I'm a dork, but I'm just so proud of our team--on and off the court.  We are really lucky to have the guys playing on our team that we do! I put Kolton up on my shoulders so he could see the players once they got there. The airport had setup a temporary stage for the players to talk to the fans from.  Once they landed in OKC, they boarded a bus that brought them to the stage.   We were pretty close to them--maybe 4 or 5 "rows" back (not counting the press and family), but since I'm so short I really couldn't see them.  Sometimes if I moved my head just right and the people in front of me moved theirs just right I could see them, but I mostly just tried to listen and held my camera up in the air hoping to get some pictures.  Haha.
They each took turns talking to the fans for a minute.  Here's some of the things I remember...
Westbrook: Thanked the fans for sticking by his side throughout the whole season.  He said we lifted him up at the beginning of the year.  Promised they would work real hard on the off season to become better and more prepared for next season. Thanked the coaching staff.
Perkins: He said he thought that Boston had the best fans (he played there for 8 years) but after coming to OKC he realizes he was wrong--that we are the best fans.
Durant: Thanked everyone for our support.  He said it was a really hard night for them last night, but the only thing that cheered them up was knowing that we (as fans) would be there the next day supporting them and cheering for them.  He said hopefully we'll have a bigger parade next year.  He also said he hopes everyone gets home safely. 
Brooks: He said our team wouldn't be the team we are if it wasn't for the fans. He said he'll remember two things about this team.  One, that they played hard, and two that the fans cheered just as hard.  
Harden spoke but i couldn't really hear him because everyone chanted "Fear the beard!". He did say that it meant a lot--all the support they got as a team game in and game out.  He said next year they'll bring a championship here. 
Fisher spoke as well and everyone started yelling "One more year!" He said thanks for letting him come in and be part of the Thunder and the community. 
Ibaka: He said that we are the best fans in the NBA.  He said he really means that, that he's not just saying it to say it.   He thanked the fans for our support during the season and the play-offs.  He's one of my favorite members of the team! :)
Thabo:  He said he had just two words, Thank you, thank you.  He wished we had more to celebrate.  We are their family.
I wish Collison would have spoke as well, but after Thabo they headed back to their bus.  
Here's some pictures!
The boys were super hot so I poured some water on their heads to cool them down. 













 Look at all those people!



It was reported that there was over 5,000 fans there.  Such a cool experience! What other group of fans would come cheer for their team after they lost?! I love it! I love that we are still proud of them and what they accomplished this year!

No comments:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers