Kolton had Fall Break on Thursday and Friday, October 16 and 17th. Thursday was a beautiful day and we went to the zoo in the morning. We left at 9:00 and got there a little after 9:30. The zoo was pretty empty which was great! And the animals were being fed while we were there so they were moving around and easy to see. It was wonderful! And Bentley was great! He didn't whine once while being in the stroller.
We made our usual trip through the zoo (lions, tigers, bears, bats etc.) and ate lunch and then we let the kids play at the park for a while. I finally felt bad for Bentley (even though he didn't seem to mind) and let him down and crawl around a little before we had to leave and he'd have to ride in the car. We had a fun morning!
Kolton ended up going home with the Himes and I went to the grocery store and went shopping. We then found out what time Brady's surgery was scheduled for for the next day. He had to be there at 5:30!! So, Jill so graciously offered to have the kids stay the night that way we didn't have to wake them up in the morning and get them all ready and wake her up so early. :) So I went and picked Kolton up and brought him home so he could get all his stuff and they could get a little break from him. :) I picked up McDonalds for their family and our kids and brought them over to Jill's at about 5:30. It was so weird leaving Bentley!! He did awesome, though! Brady and I took advantage of the no kid thing and went on a date. We went to Victoria's in Norman on Campus Corner. It was pretty good! Brady ended up not feeling super well while we were there. We stopped by Walmart and the library on the way home so I could get a book to read while he was in surgery the next day. He was up almost all night not feeling well. We were nervous we'd get there and they'd say he couldn't have the surgery. Anyway, we got there and the Dr said it would be ok as long as the anesthesiologist thought it was ok. He gave the ok so we were set to go. Brady got wheeled down to surgery at 7:45. He was supposed to be in surgery for an hour to an hour and a half. They gave me a meal ticket for breakfast so when he left I headed down to the cafeteria to get some food. I brought it back up to the room and ate it in there while I read. I was pretty nervous the whole time he was in surgery. To cut the story short he ended up being in surgery for two and a half hours! After the hour and a half had come and gone and then two hours I was freaking out! I made the nurses call the OR to make sure everything was ok. I was so happy when I heard him coming down the hall. They ended up having to put a breathing tube in so he couldn't hardly talk when he came back. We waited there after the surgery for about an hour and then packed up and left. We stopped by a couple medical supply places to try and find a scooter and finally got that and I took him home and then went and got Bentley and Kolton from the Himes. Brady's parents dropped dinner by our house that afternoon and then Jeff and Vanessa came by with some treats that evening.
The doctor came in and talked to me after Brady's surgery before he was brought in to the room and showed me all the pictures they took and explained what they did. He said he had a ton of red inflamed scar tissue (way more than they thought he had) and a very sizeable bone spur (larger than it had looked in the MRI). He also had a tear on the inside of his ankle in the cartilage with bone pieces in it that they had to clean out and then drill 3 holes into his bone to stimulate cartilage growth to fill the hole they cleaned out. He also had the torn ligament (which we knew about before the surgery) that was very loose and had a "chunk" (as the doctor said) of bone that it had ripped off the bone in it. They cleaned that out, tightened the ligament, and anchored it to his bone. Anyway, because of all those extra things it took them longer than anticipated. I'm just glad he got it done and am excited to see how it heals and am hoping it feels so much better for him than it did before!
Brady also got a basket delivered from his work with a bunch of goodies in it.
That night while Jeff and Vanessa were there he was pretty numb still and didn't have much pain. Also, Bentley took 9 steps that night! I don't know if seeing Esme sparked him to try harder but it was awesome!!
Saturday we lounged around and watched the OU game. Kolton treated Brady to a game of UNO. Those two are so sweet together!
Brady usually feeds Bentley his nighttime bottle but since he was home and wasn't able to do much else with Bentley he fed him every bottle. Bentley loved it. I was in the bathroom getting ready and Kolton called me out to show me that Bentley had grabbed his ear while they were cuddling. It was too cute!
We bought Bentley some new cups to see if he could hold them better and he caught on really quickly. He kept laying down anytime he'd want a drink. It was funny.
Sunday Brady had had enough of sitting on the bed so he ventured out to the back patio, propped his leg up on the table, and played catch with Kolton. Kolton would run different routes they made up and Brady would throw it to him. Kolton loved it! Bentley had a blast on the trampoline! It is nice to have the net on there because you can put Bentley up there, zip it up, and he is safe and secure up there and can just crawl all around and enjoy himself.
Little stinker got ahold of the puffs and dumped them out to enjoy a little snack by himself. :)
Saturday night Jeff and Vanessa came and picked up Kolton and took him dinner at Raising Canes and then to a circus in Norman. Kolton had fun with his cousins and his favorite part was a guy getting shot out of a cannon. :)





















No comments:
Post a Comment