Wednesday, October 22nd, the basketball court that the Thunder built at Kolton's school was dedicated. at 3:25 the players were supposed to come and cut the ribbon and play with the kids. Each class got to pick two kids (a boy and a girl) to be able to play with the players. In Kolton's class they drew names out of a hat. The first name pulled was a boy named Deshawn. Then Kolton's name was pulled out. He was devastated when his teacher told him he couldn't do it because it had to be a girl. She told him that if Deshawn didn't come then he could do it. I told Kolton not to get his hopes up. I felt so bad for him though! To get your named pulled out and get so excited and then to be told you couldn't do it...I just thought that was cruel. Haha. Anyway, I guess the next day Deshawn was late to school so Kolton thought he was going to be able to do it but then he showed up. Anyway, Bentley and I walked over to the school at 3:10. The kids came out at about 3:20. You could just tell Kolton was super excited to see the players. He got to wear his Thunder hat to school that day too because he had earned a coupon for good behavior and he chose to be able to wear a hat and had saved it for Thursday.
The players ended up being late and so sadly all the daycare kids had to leave at 3:55. I felt so so bad for them!! But, Kolton then got to move up to the front row and you could tell he was pretty psyched about that!
At about 4:10 I think it was the players and Thunder girls and staff got there. As they walked by the kids they gave them hi-fives and Kolton was one of the kids that they gave hi-fives to! I was so happy for him that he was able to do that!!
One of the announcers from the Thunder games was there and talked for a bit.
The players were all super nice. Ibaka was the only one I recognized. The others were Telfair, Jenkins, Solomon, Zanna, and Thomas.
I took this picture to show just how close Kolton was to the players but wasn't allowed to talk to them. Haha.
Once all the players left they said all the kids could play basketball and try out the new court. Kolton was chomping at the bit to get out there and play. As soon as they were allowed to he ran out there and was able to get a ball and shoot it. No sooner had he shot it did his principal come around with a bag and made the kids give her the balls. I couldn't believe it! She said "I have to go home." What?! Come on lady...let the kids play! It was such a bummer the way the event ended. But, I'm still super happy Kolton got to experience that!
If you look closely in the picture below you can see Kolton's hat and part of his face giving the players hi-fives.
Kolton is so grateful the Thunder did that for their school and loves playing on the court any chance he gets!














No comments:
Post a Comment