Wednesday, August 7, 2013

May 20th

May 20th we were supposed to have some bad weather.  I dropped Kolton off at pre-k and then went home and started doing some work.  Brady's dad called me at like 2:15 and said it was coming soon and I should probably pick Kolton up and come to their house.  I got to his school right before they stopped letting kids check their kids out.  I'm so glad I got there in time.  After that kids were kept there until after 5:00 when the tornado was gone and had died down.  I can't even imagine Kolton being stuck at his school.  He would have been terrified.  I'm just so glad to have had him at home.  As I was driving to Brady's parents house it started raining super hard and it was hard to see.  We got there at about 2:45 or so.  The tornado touched down a little before 3:00.   


It didn't get real close to his parent's house but you could still see it.  I was freaking out, though, because it was headed right towards Brady's work.  On the news they kept saying that it was going to go right where he was.  Brady got some pretty crazy pictures and video on his phone of it.  Luckily it turned just a little right before it got to his bank.  






This is the hospital.  



When Brady got off work he came home and then he, his dad, and Dylen tried to go check our house to see if it was damaged or if we had power etc.  They had to park a couple miles away and walk the whole way there.  The tornado went right in between Brady's work and our house which are a mile apart.  So crazy!
Our yard was covered in stuff like this.  Wood, gutters, tons and tons of insulation and shingles.  Just everything.  We didn't have any power or water at our house.  





The right corner of this picture is the 7-11 that is on the corner of 4th street and Telephone road (or was, I guess).  This is half a mile from us.    
Someone posted this picture on Facebook of Veteran's park.  This was one of Kolton's favorite parks to go to.  It had the big blue slide that he loved.  The other park we'd go to right across the street from our house (Little River Park) is gone too.  
These are pictures of the Orr Family Farm.  



Honestly, I'm not writing much about this and I should probably write more, but it was a sad sad day.  The tornado was on the ground for 17 miles and was over a mile wide.  24 people died (9 of which were children and 7 of those children were at an elementary school).  237 people were injured and had to go to the hospital.  There was over $1 billion in damage.  It became an F-5 tornado really close to our home.  Just scary.  

No comments:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers